Monday, February 11, 2008

Horse Shoer Day

It's funny how I have the sweetest little mare you could ever ask for, until the shoer comes. Oh she does what is asked of her, but she squares herself up, then tenses up every muscle in her body. I barely recognize her face, there's all these veins and mucsles popping out all over. She looks as if she's grinding her teeth and she puts her head down like she is going to blow straight up like a bucking horse. Every chance she gets she switches her tail, as if she's aiming for my poor farriers face.
I spend the whole time trying to keep her head up, so the farrier doesn't blow out his back, and doing little things to help distract her. My finger nails turn black from scratching all over her head and neck. Today she took to licking my hand. That helped for about 2 minutes.

Then there is Pumpkin are little 28 year old pony. She just stands there perfectly, as if this happens everyday. It's quite a contrast between the two.

2 comments:

Beemoosie said...

Just like our dog when it's time to clip her nails, she's not having it!!

Grand Life said...

Just found your blog and really enjoyed it. I grew up on a real farm- horses, pigs, chickens and didn't realize how lucky I was until later in life. Had my own horse and wouldn't you know it- was sad because I couldn't have a bike. All my friends thought I was the luckiest person they knew.
Judy